Monday, December 12, 2005

Saturday Dec 10th 2005

The Place- Spectator’s Comedy Barn in Sanford Maine. The mood- awkward. It was a weird night. Here’s the thing. I had a decent set. In fact it was pretty positive. I tried a couple new jokes that went over well. And as far as I know the rest of my set went fairly decent too. Here’s the rub. There were less audience members than comedians. There were perhaps 4 paying audience members, 3 guys that left halfway through the show, and the owner and 2 of his friends. This was a new experience.

I can see where this place would be great on a regular night, but it was just so quiet in there it felt like a tough room. It was really strange. Everyone seemed to have a good set, but it was like that question about a tree falling in the woods and nobody is around to hear it. It was more like, if you have a great punch line and nobody is around to hear it. It’s another life lesson in the comedy world, but honestly, I’m not sure how many nights like that I can take. Even if you do well, you can’t help but feel like you failed at the end of it.
The next night is on Wednesday back in Portland. We’ll see what happens then. I have a funny feeling it’ll be another quiet night, but I guess that’s the business.

No comments: