Monday, July 02, 2007

What's Going On? Are You Retired? Again?

I keep hearing it. Are you done? Did you break your funny bone in a horrible gardening accident? Are your stand-up comedy days over? The answer is no, I'm not done and I'm not retired. But I'm not performing. What does that mean? Just about what it sounds like. It's a little cryptic, I know.

Here's the scoop. I'm not retired. I said thank you in my last post, but not as a goodbye. It was an honest heartfelt thank you. The thing is, I'm a stand-up comic. I've got it in my blood, but I became a little too addicted to it, I guess. I had to curb my habits. It felt great to be up there and people were eating up the funny things I had to say. It did wonders for my self-esteem. It was a great escape from the things that were taking a toll on me. The passing of my mother, my father's illness, and my own scare with cancer (still waiting to hear back on that one, but no longer worried about it). Although it took me out of that frame of mind, it took me away from other things that mattered to me. My personal life, and those that I love and care for. I guess I became distracted, and that wasn't fair of me.

So how is that not retired? It's simple. I plan on coming back and doing the Portland's Funniest Professional Competition each year. That way I'll still get to bring it out once a year, dust off a couple of old jokes and have a couple new ones to debut. I figure if I can bring 5 minutes of rabid humor each year, I'll be satisfied. My goal has never been to become famous or anything, it was just to release a creative outlet for myself. I've always done something artistic, be it music, comedy, painting, drawing, or writing novels. I always seem to have some sort of creative feeling to release. If people heard my jokes and look at anything differently or from another angle, I think I did my job.

I know some of my fellow comedians wanted to know what happened to me, I've been a bit of a hermit from the scene. I felt that I needed to remove myself from it, or I'd never be able to leave it behind me. I made some great friends, and hopefully this will make some sense to them why I'm out of contact. Just think of me as the little dog that ran away. If I truly love it, I'll be back, if I run away it was just meant to be. Just know this, I never meant to pee on the rug.

Until the next performance at the Portland's Funniest Competition, I'll update the blog every now and again. Probably nothing for my comedy routine, I'd like the humor to be a surprise to those that like my stuff when I get there. I'll be going on road trips and will take artsy pictures from time to time and make a post. Just know I'll be thinking of new jokes for my 3-5 minutes of glory next year. Enough funny stuff will happen between now and then. As a matter of fact, I've ordered a scooter to save on gas milage. If something ridiculous doesn't come of a grown assed man riding a scooter, I've lost complete control of my comedy barometer. Until you see me on the stage again, know I'm still thinking of it, and will do my best to impress when I get back.

Also, some comics asked to use my material or buy jokes from me. My jokes aren't for sale. Even if I don't use them, a joke seems like such a personal thing, I couldn't feel comfortable doing that. Although I have been flattered that a couple people have used my material with permission, I hope that's as far as it goes. The Portland comedy scene is so ripe with talent right now, anybody can write something more prolific than I have. Trust yourself. The reason you're a stand-up comic is because you feel you have something funny to say, not something funny to repeat. Not busting chops, just explaining why I don't want to seperate my material for someone else's gain.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Glad to find another post here...and it was a great read. Some of your jokes will always stay with me, and those that don't get 'em are dowch bags.

Anonymous said...

Great job last night baby, that was awesome. I love you. I don't think I've done a set with you in the audience without giving you a pound on stage.