Friday, July 07, 2006

Good, Better, and Best

I took a couple pictures before last night's shenanigans started, and the sky was really pretty. I couldn't help but think something was going to be magical about last night when I saw the sky like that. I'll have to post that part later. The service doesn't seem to be accepting pictures right now.

Last night was a funny night. A couple of things happened. Being a Thursday night, I was scheduled to do a set at the Comedy Connection. When I got there I found out my usual 7-8 minutes had been cut down to 5 minutes. I'm assuming it's because my previous set I was supposed to do 7 minutes I went 9 and a half minutes. I was bummed, because I hadn't had to try and squeeze a set into five minutes for awhile, so my set was hurried. It was a GOOD set, but I know I'm capable of better. I was thrown off to be honest with you. I was on fourth, so I was done by 9:30 so I headed over to Slainte'.

There were only about 5 more comics left by the time I got there, so I put my name in as well. The room had only about 20 people left in it by the time I hit the "stage" area, so I made everyone come gather around in what I called a "Comedy Campfire". I did a set of all brand new material, some I hadn't written out yet, but went with the flow. The new stuff was a hit for the most part, and I think I definitely had a BETTER set than before, I dare say a great set.

set, while everyone was sitting around me still, Timmy mentioned that the show was done, unless there were more comics. That's when the idea hit me to tag team some jokes with Dustin like we were going to try the week before. He came up, we did a few back and forth, then other comics joined in too. We tossed the mic back and forth until it hit the ground, and then called it a night. It was the BEST set of the night because it was impromptu and special. I'm sure it's something most people that were still there can say was pretty sweet.

Next 2 shows are next Tuesday and Thursday at the Comedy Connection. Hopefully I'll have more time than 5 minutes, but I'll plan to be on probation all the same next week. I have enough material building up at this point I'll be able to roll with the punches if it goes long or short. I believe Luke Hanberry said he also was doing Tuesday night, so if you want to see me or Portland's Funniest of 2006, swing by and check it out.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Uploading pictures worked for me this morning.

Anonymous said...

Yeah man that new shit was brilliant, you had me in tears. I really did enjoy the comedy campfire I will work on some more short ones for a possible future tag team