Thursday, March 30, 2006

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

I guess I had a decent set last night, but it was another one of those, "If a tree fell in the forest" kind of nights. I'd say most of the comics last night were trepidation, the crowd was tough. There were under 20 people when you didn't count the comics, and it was tough to tell if jokes were landing. Some jokes were working on some folks, and others on others, but the laughter mentality of the crowd was not in unison. I tried hard to keep the energy up as best I could, but I got bumped from 3 to last, and I think most of the folks were ready to call it quits before I got up there. There was a girl with tourette's doing a set with really funny material regarding her affliction, and the crowd didn't seem to respond. It was a tough night for edgy material for sure.

Bob Marley showed up again at the end this time, and that was the only time all night the crowd came alive. It's all part of the game though. You can't expect great things every time out, no matter how much you want it to happen. If anything I have a couple more jokes that I think will do well, and I may even use one or two during round 2 of Portland's Funniest.

That was one of the harder parts to swallow about last night. I had such a great set during Portland's Funniest, and everyone was still complimenting me on my set and material right up until I took the stage last night. Then I got to tell jokes to a chorus of crickets. It's very humbling. I'll brush it off as a learning experience and be ready to do my best next time.

No comments: