Friday, April 14, 2006

Them's The Breaks


Last night's round of semi finals for Portland's Funniest was a great set for me, but I didn't advance to the next round. I'm not entirely sure what happened or where I went wrong, because I feel pretty strongly I had one of the best sets last night. Of the three criteria that we got judged on, I can only think it was stage presence, because I was pretty nervous and it must've shown. I'm very upset with myself that I let it bother me as much as it has.

I was excited to go on to round two, and as I posted before, and just wanted a chance to play in front of a full house and have a good set. That's exactly what I got. But at some point my competitive juices got flowing and I started to care how I finished. When the night was over I was disappointed, and I hardly slept last night. Certainly not taking anything away from the comics that won because they earned it, but I feel a little cheated. Comedy is subjective and I have to expect not to do great every time, except the crowd was roaring last night. I tore it up, so I don't know what fully happened.

I'm very thankful that people came out and supported me. It was probably the most folks that have made it to see one of my shows yet. If you're reading this and you were there to see me, thanks a million. If you've been there to see me in the past, I really appreciate that too. Comedy is an emotional roller coaster, with it's peaks and valleys. Last night was a peak, and I have to stop letting it eat me up. I'll just go back out and give it my best and keep plugging away. Upcoming shows are for Portland Comedy Connection: April 19th, 26th, and 30th. And Sanford Spectator's April 22nd at 7 and 9:00.

On a side note, I got to go to see the beloved Red Sox on Wednesday, and although David Wells blew it, I got to meet the man Jerry Remy. So it can't be all bad.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sorry you didn't make it past last nights round. Good thing I wasn't there or someone would have had to pay for failing to recognize your comedic genius. I hope to catch you again soon.