Thursday, October 26, 2006

I Had Fun In Bangor

I never thought I’d say that, but what a blast. Bangor was a fun road trip with some fun dudes, and I think we represented Portland comedy really well last night. Myself, Timmy B!, Dustin Beckleman, and his pal Billy all piled into Timmy’s Tracker and hit the 95’s all the way to the town with the Paul Bunyan statue. On the ride up, we were listening to What The Hell Happened To Me by Adam Sandler, and when we went through the toll booth, I yelled out loudly with the CD “I got a snake mang!” which was really funny to us in the car, but I’m assuming the toll lady was less than impressed.

I’d never been to Bangor before, and quite honestly I figured it’d be a little like that scene from Deliverance where someone gets to make piggie noises. First impression of Bangor wasn’t far off. We were a little road weary from the drive and wanted to find a place to stop and eat or something. Almost the entire town seemed shut down like Children of the Corn (obligatory Stephen King reference there) at 6:00 at night. Very strange, but we did find a pub called Main Street Tavern. This place was a little sketchy; the barmaid was an older woman with prison tattoos up and down her arms, but a smile that could melt a convict’s heart, not really. We ordered from the menu, which she said “All items are either made in the toaster over or the microwave”. I ordered the Cheeseburger $3.50, and Dustin ordered the Jumbo Cheeseburger which she said was the same thing. I asked her if I could change my order to the jumbo then, seeing as it was the same price. She looked at me like I just stole her last prison cigarette. Good stuff. They had pickled eggs and Slim Jims on their menu, very classy.

We also befriended a fellow named Hawkeyes (his nickname, not ours) who had been coming to that tavern for over 17 years. No shit! He was quite braggadocios about the several women he had scattered around town for his carnal desires, to which my reply of “With a good supply of roofies, duct tape and a halfway decent hunting shack, who wouldn’t?” kind of fell on deaf ears. I guess it would of meant more if his friend Hawk-ears had been with him. Enough of the local culture, on to the Club.

Once we arrived we met the owners of Club Gemini, real nice guys. They directed us back to the VIP lounge. Now that was really nice. I was surprised how such a nice club existed in Bangor, and the VIP lounge was a treatment I hadn’t been afforded before as a comic. The host Randy showed up a little later on and we talked about the order of the night and went on from there.

We all had good sets, and I dare say I had a really good set. I did about 15-17 minutes at the start, and then later we did a comedy campfire where I added a few new jokes as well. All of the Portland guys did really well and represented Portland comedy in a positive light I believe. There seemed to be no empty seats around the stage, and the crowd was there to hear some comedy. The show went until just about 11:30 and I had my head rested in my bed at home just under 2:30 AM. A long night, but it was well worth it.

Great crowd, great club, great time, not such a good cheeseburger form the Maine Street Tavern, but don’t tell Hawkeyes, I think he likes their burgers.

No comments: