Thursday, October 05, 2006

Electric Coffee??? No! Acoustic Coffee!!!!

I hadn't done this open mic for quite awhile. Last night was a blast. I had a raging set, more on that in a minute, and got to hang with some funny people.

I thought for sure as soon as my set began, I was going to have a terrible set, because I took the mic out of the stand and the chord came unplugged. I recovered and ripped through a lot of new material. Only one joke didn't work, but in retrospect, the timing of it and the build-up prior to kind of cut it off at the knees. My best moments were improv last night though. Most importantly with Nick's (one of the other comics) mother's vagina. The fact was that he had brought half of the audience, and I wanted to address them during the set and keep them into the show. One thing led to another and we went back and forth regarding her holiest of holies and the topics of racism and rip chord safety leashes in regards to her stuff. It was classic.

A lot of the comedy was dead on last night and the crowd reacted to most of it very well. The tempo of the show was working great, and Seth Bond Perry did an excellent job keeping things moving. It was definitely worth the commute from South Portland to Portland for the show, and I'll probably come back and do it again in a couple of weeks.

Next scheduled show is next week Thursday the 12th at the Portland Comedy Connection. Also I'm there on the 29th (my 1 year anniversary of doing stand-up, maybe someone will bring a cake). After that, the next show I have is on November 6th in Boston's Comedy Connection. Keep your eyes peeled at the open mics too, that's where I tell jokes that don't work sometimes and bail on them early because I will tell them before finishing them, because I'm silly like that.

No comments: