Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I'm Not Disappointed

Last night I went and did the open mic at Sierra. To say the crowd petered out after the second comic was an understatement. It actually looked like it might be a good crowd before it began, but that turned around quickly. Lucky for me (insert sarcastic sneer) I was up fourth.

By the time I hit the stage, most folks were no longer paying attention, except a couple of Nick Salve's friends and a couple heavy girls that looked like they came from USM. I got some laughs, but not like I'm used to. I thought my set was pretty good, but I can't be sure really anyone was listening. I'm pretty sure they weren't. If I had to drive a long distance for that show, I might have been upset, but I really didn't care. I felt like my set was pretty decent, but who really knows. One good thing is that my most recent change to my "Advice" joke went over even in a dead room, so that seems like it'll be a keeper.

There was a point where a show like last night would've eaten at me and I would lose sleep, literally. Not anymore. I've come to terms that not every crowd is the same, and there's things about comedy shows out of my control. I can't control the crowd, the temperature of the room, if the host is being an asshole, the crowd noise, shitty waitstaff, the only thing I can control is my jokes and how I tell them. I think given the situation, I did pretty well, but the crowd response wasn't there. Oh well, there's always the Connection on the 28th. I'm not gonna let it break my stride, I'm not gonna let it slow me down. Oh no, oh no, I got to keep on movin', Sorry, the 80's took me over for a minute there.

No comments: