Sunday, December 10, 2006

Not bad, could've been better.

Last night's show was at the American Legion in Westbrook as a benefit for the Westbrook Cheerleaders. It was a crowd of about 40 or so people. I wasn't sure where the place was, so I planned it out on mapquest. My directions told me to take Rte 25 to Main St and then a right onto Dunn St. If you've ever been to Westbrook, just about every Rte is a Rt 25 of some sort. Rte 25 W, Rte 25 E, Rte 25, Rte 25 Business, etc. I did find it after a spell and the Dunn street sign was about 7 feet back from the road. I got lucky to see it.

Our payment for last night was a couple of free drinks. Miller light, I have to watch my girlish figure, and all the pizza we could eat. There was just about every pizza place in Westbrook that had donated pizza to the show. There were probably about 50 pizzas in total.

I was the first comic for the night. I did about 15 minutes I'd say with my jokes and playing with the crowd. They all laughed, but they sounded exactly how you would expect 40 people in an American Legion Hall to sound. I was expecting a bunch of drunk older cheerleader types living vicariously through their daughters, and I more or less saw just as many men as women, who seemed like they were dragged to the show by their wives because they needed to support the cheerleaders. So the response was good, but I was hoping for something better. Then again, I've gotten used to the fact that the first slot is always going to get less of a response than you anticipate. Folks aren't drunk yet, and haven't gotten into the flow of the show quite yet.

Brian Brenniger went on second, and he has a joke where he talks about a woman's taint. He got up on a bar stool and lifted his legs to point to the magical area, but when he did, he lost his balance and fell backward onto the floor. It was kind of scary for a second, because people didn't know if he was alright or not. This was just 20 minutes after he showed me a bruise he had gotten on his leg 2 nights previous that took over almost his entire lower leg. That's one reason I prefer stand-up straight to physical stand-up.

I left after Brian's set, this was when people were getting up to get more drinks and pizza ans went home. I was tired and this was the third comedy show I'd been to or went to see in as many days. At this point, my next "scheduled" comedy show is back at the Portland Comedy Connection on December 28th. I'll probably try and fill time in at Acoustic Coffee on the 12th, and maybe some time at Sierra's in Gorham on the 19th. If anything else pops up, I'll be sure to let you know. But it looks like a couple quiet weeks coming up, which will give me a chance to write more material.

No comments: