Friday, December 29, 2006

Sold-out show!

What a great feeling. Last night's show was packed to the gills, and people were having a hard time finding seats. Kelly Macfarlane was the host, and she was very funny. I was supposed to have 10 minutes last night, but got cut down to 8. Have no fear, everyone ended up going over and I did 11 minutes.

I was scheduled to go up 3rd, which if you're one of my usual readers, is my favorite spot in any lineup. I got bumped though, ad George Hamm came in and did a set in my slot, so I had to follow him fresh off a hot set at the Merrill Auditorium with Bob Marley. The energy in the room was great last night. From the first moment Kelly hit the stage, all the way through the end, everyone was putting in the effort and it was a great night for comedy. While I was waiting to go onstage, it was hard to keep focused, because I was pretty wound up. It was kind of like the scene in 8 Mile when Eminem talking about "there's vomit on his sweater already, Mom's spaghetti", except I didn't throw up, but the energy was there and that's what that soliloquy was supposed to represent.

I opened with new material. Actually over half of my set was new to newer stuff and a lot of improv stuff too that was really working. My very first joke started out strong, but I tripped over my words towards the second half of it, and it started to die out. I saved it by stating that the previous joke was certified by waste management as a genuine turd. That saved the day. Everyone appreciated that I noticed it didn't go properly. Towards the end of my set, one guy blurted out that it was his birthday. Then a couple other people did. In short time about 6 people were saying that it was their birthday and how old they were. Before it got out of hand, I reigned in the audience by saying, "That's great, you all had birthdays, good for you. You know who else just had a birthday? Jesus. That's right, Jesus! And I bet you stingy pricks didn't even get him anything. You could've at least got Jesus a Dunkin Donuts gift card. Because Jesus is fueled on Dunkin". I'm not sure where I pulled that from, but it did kill. It was pretty sweet.

I stayed to the end of the show and waited for the crowd to clear. I had people come up and say they liked my stuff and one guy said he "really appreciated my routine". It sounded like I needed to be wearing an gymnastics unitard and dancing with a long ribbon on a stick, but it was still good to hear anyway.

Next scheduled show is January 6th at Spectator's in Sanford and then I believe on the 24th at Club Gemini in Bangor. Next Thursday is also open mic at Bingas Wingas, and where time is short this month, I'll probably do some time there as well. To my new readers in Portugal, thanks for visiting and the stuff on your site is really dirty. I'm not judging you, I'm just saying, it didn't seem like the donkey really appreciated wearing the running shorts you put on him.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I believe the son of god actually prefers Krispy Kreme...it says so in the bible. But the fact that there is no Krispy Kreme within a 200 mile radius, it's just further proof that god doesn't exist.