Friday, December 08, 2006

Yippeee!!!!!

I had a great set last night at the Comedy Connection. It went so well in fact, that I decided not to do a set at Bingas Wingas after, because I didn't want to risk having a less than stellar set and ruining my night.

I had 4 people show up to watch my show. Heidi, my friend Jeff Inman, and his friend Steve and his lady friend. Our MC for the night was a guy named Spanky. To be honest, whn I heard the name, I was pretty sure he was going to suck, and boy was I wrong. He had a strange energy to him that made it almost impossible not to watch him. He was awesome. I wouldn't mind going back this weekend to see him do his whole set.

I felt a little bad. One of the newer comics through the Connection was hanging out upstairs with me. He was talking about how he was going to suck the life out of the room. He had a very negative attitude about his set before he went up. It was starting to make me think I was going to do poorly as well. But I went head first into my set and bulled through it.

My set was supposed to be 10 minutes in total, so I put together a 10 minute set. When I got there, my set was trimmed down to 9 minutes. I ended up doing 12 and a half. I feel bad, I didn't think I went that far over. I'm pretty certain, that's going to bite me in the ass. We'll see. I did a good mix of new and old material. I'd say about 30% of my set was new. 60% was proven, and I did about 10% improv. The crowd was really into my set. One moment I had a joke that was going really well, and I could tell by the reaction of the crowd that they wanted to keep laughing but didn't know if the joke was going to continue. So I said, "Go ahead and applaud that joke. It's been certified by the gemological institute as a true gem". The crowd exploded after that. It was kind of cool. I did that type of thing a couple of times. I had a good number of applause breaks.

Last night was one of my better sets that I've done in my opinion. Not only was the crowd really into my humor last night. My timing and delivery was on and I had a lot of fun plying the crowd. I was bending them and moving the tempo of the set up and down at will. It was a great feeling. Teo things I wasn't fond of last night is that I went over on time and closed with a street joke, which I didn't need. My jokes were doing better tan the street joke last night. But the other thing is I had a group of people say that they were going to show up for the show and they didn't. I gave out three free passes worth 2 admissions each, and none of them showed up. I could've used those for the people that showed up, but that's how it seems to go.

Next show is Saturday night at 8:00 at the American Legion Hall in Westbrook. It's a benefit show for the Westbrook Cheerleaders. It sounds like it might be a great time. Until our next installment kiddies, make sure you eat your vegetables.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sounds like a great show. You must have had the Mic Of Destiny.