Friday, September 29, 2006

The Final Curtain

Not me, but Slainte'. At least how we know it. Last night was the last night for a great room. It's going to be under new ownership and Timmy B will no longer host the room. There's a possibility that they may keep hosting it once a month, and my name has come up a couple of times as someone that could host it. I'm not sure, all I know is, last night was a good night.

People were in the mood to laugh. Nobody had a bad set, and it was easy to tell new jokes. Towards the beginning, there were just us comics and later on, more people filed in. I didn't take the bullet last night, I decided to wait. My set was mostly new stuff. Some worked, some could've done better, but it was a good set all around. I did probably about 10 minutes in all. I threw in some old stuff, even my wine tasting turned rape joke, which I love, and was told by my fiance that it should never see the light of day. Well it's worked every time now, so I guess we know which of us is the comedian.

There were a good number of people doing physical humor last night, and Timmy himself had a great bit about imaginary pets. My stuff wasn't physical, but I'm still perplexed about a joke I find funny that isn't shaping up. Perhaps because it makes fun of Christopher Reeve and it's rather scathing. People sure are touchy about him it seems. My intro portions of a couple of my jokes did very well, so I think if I reworked them and came back at a different angle, I should be able to get something juicy out of them.

A couple of the regulars weren't there, and I'm sure they'll be sad when they find out it's done and the last night went well. Slainte' has been very kind to host us and provide free drinks all year long. It's the room where Joe Ricchio was king and we all hung on his every word until he mimed fucking Jesus in the ass. It's the room where comedy campfire would happen to keep the jokes popping from comic to comic. It's the room where many of us found our voice and always had time for us to do a set, no matter the situation. It's the room that was brutally honest about jokes that had a shot and ones that needed sod tossed over the top of them. And it's the room that any comic who went and had a good set could leave saying, "What a great room. I'll definitely come back." I'm going to miss the room, because the patrons generally were the type of audience that appreciated my sense of humor. It was the open mic room where I've always felt most comfortable.

Thank you Slainte', and than you TimmyB!

No comments: