Thursday, November 30, 2006

One For The Gipper!

First things first, I had no intention of doing a set last night. I figured I'd go to Acoustic Coffee and support Dustin. I told him right off I was just there to hang and nor do a set. It was a quiet night, maybe 20 people total in the room of which more than half were comics. I was hanging outside with Dustin while Dennis Fogg was on. Unfortunately the crowd was pretty quiet. Dustin asked me to do a set. I said that I didn't have a set list ready. He said he just needed me to go on and boost the crowd, and I was starting to falter because I had a couple new jokes I wanted to try. Then Dustin looked at me and said, "Please. Can you do it for the Gipper?" So I did.

My set was very short. I told Dustin it would be. I ran either 4 or five jokes, and probably did just about 5 minutes at most. But it was a good set. I honestly didn't think that I'd get much of a reaction from the crowd, but they were there with me for the new material. I was kind of shocked. I worked a couple of rewrites as well. I'm glad I did it. It was a tough show for a number of comics because it was so quiet, but for the time I was there it was at least relaxed and fun. I guess maybe I was so at ease because I was thinking of it more like goofing around not doing time.

Next scheduled show is next week Thursday the 7th at the Comedy Connection in Portland. If time permits and the stars align, I'll put in some time at Bingas Wingas after as well. Two days later, I'll be working with Dennis Fogg on the 9th in Westbrook for the cheerleader benefit. I believe it's at the American Legion or something like that, but I'll update the blog once I know for sure.

No comments: