Monday, November 27, 2006

Back In The Saddle

It felt like putting on an old pair of shoes again last night. Lately I've been so busy doing benefit shows, and driving to Augusta etc to do shows, it felt nice to get back and do some time in Portland. My time was cut down to 6 minutes, but basically I haven't really paid too much attention to the time limits they set for the past few months anyway. I try and keep it fairly close, but if they tell me 6 minutes and I do 8 or 9 and I'm not bombing, I call that close enough. If the crowd is digging you, it's a silly club owner that slaps your hand. Last night, the crowd was digging me. I had no real dead spots, but a couple of the jokes got laughter that was kind of quiet. It might have had to do with this self-proclaimed pool champion in the crowd that kept talking through the show and could've been distracting folks, but maybe the jokes landed soft. I'm not really sure. But by and large, given the size of the room and the reaction I got, I'd say I did very well. One of the strongest sets of the night.

It was a Sunday night showcase, and it was definitely quiet. There were 16 or 17 people there and with the heat on, it was a paltry 38 degrees. One of the smallest rooms I've worked in awhile, but they were there to laugh. A couple guys didn't go over so well, which were the two just before I went up. Sometimes when the life is sucked out of the room like that, it's tough to win a crowd back over, but I got them pretty quickly. I ran a couple of newer jokes and a rewritten one and it went over pretty well. It was a younger crowd that would normally dig my stuff, so once I hit the stage I felt pretty comfortable. It was hard to sit there so long, as I was on last, and there is a little pressure to close the evening on a high note.

Bob Marley swung through and did a little over a half an hour I'd say. He had some new stuff, and ran a few jokes I'd heard before. At this point, I've probably worked as many shows with Bobby as any other local comic. It's good company to keep. Maybe some of his good luck and skill will rub off on me.

One thing I felt bad about was a one of my jokes and a personal story involving my girlfriend went over well, and they were funny, but she was there and was embarrassed. I know it kind of goes with the territory, but I felt bad anyhow. My girlfriend has been very supportive of me through this whole process, and I felt like a dick by saying something to put her on the spot. I'll rework the one joke so that it isn't directly pointed for future reference, because it is a great joke. It's fun, but can surely be generalized. The story was funny enough, but on the whole, not really worth saving and certainly not worth hurting feelings over.

Next "scheduled" show is on Thursday December 7th at the Portland Comedy Connection, possibly swinging by Bingas Wingas after to run some time there as well. I may try and do some time at Acoustic Coffee this Wednesday. Dustin Beckleman is hosting, and I'd like to see how he does with that. He's always been supportive of me and swung by the Connection when I have shows like last night, I can try my best to do the same for him. Another date at the Portland Comedy Connection on the 21st, and a possible Trivia Night/Game Show host gig at Bingas, but more on that if it comes to fruition. I also have a benefit show in Westbrook on December 9th for some Cheerleaders. Word on the street is I'll be telling jokes to drunken older women. My kind of crowd.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the regular folks that stop by and read my adventures on a regular basis. That goes for Mike, Amanda, and my friend Ping Pang from Korea. Hope you get your fingers back after that horrible firecracker incident. If anybody thinks the blog needs newer information, feel free to let me know. I'm always open to suggestions.

No comments: