Friday, November 10, 2006

A Successful Two-fer

Last night was a blast. I had two shows last night, and both of them went well. I'll break it down for you.

The first show was at 8:30 at the Portland Comedy Connection. I got to open the show. Somehow somewhere, people decided they wanted to get out and laugh. I'd say the Connection was probably 3/4 full. It was nice to see. I opened the show, and did very well. The crowd warmed up quickly. At some points I was killing, but a couple of my jokes fell flat. It was kind of an older crowd, so I was kind of sure one of my cancer jokes wasn't going to go over that well. And I was right. Several applause breaks and lots of crowd interaction. The host was Tom Hayes, who was pretty funny. I like his stuff. It was a really great show to do, and the beginning set a tempo that this show would play like a professional show as opposed to a Showcase Show. I thought I did so well, I almost didn't go to Bingas Wingas, because I didn't want to ruin the good vibe. Good thing I did go.

Bingas started at 10:00, and I was sixth on the list. Funny thing was, there were 3 different people on the sixth slot. We figured it out. It was a loud room to do a show, but the crowd was into it. I had a great time, and I think it showed with my performance. The Connection show may have been stronger all around, but I had a few shining moments at Bingas that definitely carved a notch out that said I was there. It was great because there were so many comics there, and a bunch from the Liquid Blue/Acoustic Coffee crowd that I hadn't seen in awhile. It was good to catch up with them and see some other folks that I hadn't really talked to in awhile. There were a couple of jokes I used that I'm pretty cautious about, but for some reason, there was a big payoff last night. I have to push the envelope sometimes, and rooms that Timmy B! open up seem to lend themselves to that.

I'm pretty tired this morning, I was charged up and it took me a long time to fall asleep. Next show is Saturday the 11th in Buxton at The Roost. A few comics were saying last night what a great time that is. Also Friday the 24th is tentative at Maine Indoor Carting in Westbrook. Come out and hear some jokes, it really can be fun.

No comments: