Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Blast Was Had By Many In Buxton

I had my doubts as to what to expect out of the Buxton show last night. The ride up had some of those things that make you feel like you'll be making the piggy noises like in Deliverence. There was a woman in a wife beater heading towards a large pile of garbage holding a chainsaw while wearing a wife beater, 20 feet away from a house with a ton of wild turkeys running around on the front lawn, and a bag of discarded cookies in the middle of the road. Those ended up being red herrings, as it were, because Buxton was a blast, and my anus is still water tight.

There were six comics and a host last night, and I thought I was only going to need to do about 6 or 7 minutes, but Ro had us all do 10 to 12. I was a little thrown at first, because I didn't bring my notebook of jokes. I have plenty of material to take up that much time and then some, but when I get excited I have a hard time remembering things. I wrote down about 7 jokes and decided to wing it. I've been doing that a lot more lately anyhow. I've been interacting with the crowd much more than I did in the past, so I do less jokes and more improv. It seems to be working. My crowd reaction seems to be getting more intense. It doesn't seem like I'm reciting as much either. It's becoming more conversational. Last night, I ran the gamut between 8 and 80. I asked an 8 year old boy if he knew how to spell pussy, and I called an 80 year old woman a whore. It was pretty hilarious in my opinion. Out of context that makes me sound like a complete monster, but within the flow of the show, it was acceptable. It was just a matter of creating a situation where calling an 80 year old woman a whore without making it forced takes a little work. I had a really good set. A couple of the other comics said I killed or destroyed, but in my heart I'm pretty certain it was just a really good set. I know I can do better, and I will. But what do I know, I just keep plodding ahead hoping to get some laughs. I'm never quite fully satisfied.

Before my set, Dennis Fogg said that he'd been hearing that I was one of the hot comics lately. I'm not really sure if that's true, but I have had a string of good shows lately, It feels good. He mentioned something about another benefit show he's like me to do in South Portland as a cheerleader benefit. He said he'd get back to me on that, and that's cool. Also Chuck Sanborn wants me to do a show at the Maine Indoor Cart Racing the day after Thanksgiving. That should be a blast as well. Other things are in the works that I'm not at liberty to discuss right now, but once I can, I'll be sure to include them. Exciting things are happening and my dance card is filling up.

No comments: