Monday, May 01, 2006

What A Night!


Last night's show was funny, and not necessarily for all the right reasons. First off I'll say that I had a great set. I'm getting more confidence and I have one of the better crowd reactions of the night.

The room wasn't really even a third full, and these people weren't necessarily there to laugh. It was by far the toughest room I'd seen, even Hammy was having a hard time getting them to laugh. But that just made me feel even better that I'd done as well as I did. I really had to work for it last night, and it paid off. Most of us last night, didn't have the best of luck.

It was hard to watch my comic peers up there last night struggling to get a laugh, but it really cool to see how they handled it. A couple of my favorite local comics couldn't get a laugh if their lives were depending on it, but they were funny last night. I won't normally blame a crowd, but last night it was completely the crowd. Without naming names of who had bad crowd reaction, I'd just say that the last set, I was about on the floor laughing. The last comic was having so much fun, at said comics own expense, you couldn't help but get caught up in the silliness. It was a moment of clarity for me, it said that even though we stress about how we're coming off onstage, it's just a comedy show in the end. We should just try and have fun.

The only upcoming show I have for this month is May 21st at the Portland Comedy Connection. I may try to supplement my addiction by trying out Acoustic Coffee. John Ader told me it's a great place to hit up for stage time on their open mic nights. They have a show this Wednesday and two weeks after that. If I do those, I'll update the post after and let you know how it went.

1 comment:

Mike said...

The funny thing about that picture is that you are really that short.